Jumpstart Your Career at NYCEDC
NYCEDC’s Future Innovators in Real Estate (FIRE) Fellowship Program is a paid 16-month multidisciplinary training program that aims to prepare the next generation of talented professionals for careers in real estate development in New York City. Our FIRE fellowship aims to increase diversity in the real estate industry and develop a pipeline of talented professionals reflective of the communities we impact.
The incoming class of FIRE Fellows will work full-time from January 2024 to April 2025 and receive an annual salary of $70,000, plus benefits.
Our application is now live, please apply here and sign up for our virtual Informational session on Thursday, June 22 at 5:30pm.
- Expand, diversify, and cultivate the city's real estate development talent pool
- Identify, recruit, and place a cohort of diverse fellows into placements across NYCEDC departments
- Provide fellows with on-the-job training that further develops the skills and knowledge needed for success in the real estate industry
- Convert fellowship opportunities to long-term careers in real estate development
Each fellow will work for four months in the following teams on a rotational basis:
- Asset Management: Learn the ins and outs of capital improvement projects across industrial, commercial, and waterfront assets
- Neighborhood Strategies: Champion underserved communities by advancing projects that work toward a more just, prosperous, resilient, and sustainable New York City
- Real Estate Transaction Services: Help analyze, structure, and execute complex and large-scale real estate transactions
- Strategic Investments Group: Support a diversified fund portfolio of impact investment and venture capital programs that promote inclusive economic growth
While taking part in the work of each team, FIRE Fellows will also participate in robust educational and professional development programs, including speaker series, mentorship programs, industry events, capstone projects, and more! Fellows will be introduced to topics covering business, real estate, and leadership fundamentals, while enhancing their experience with NYCEDC and the broader NYC real estate community.
All majors are welcome and encouraged to apply. Here's what we're looking for in FIRE candidates:
- Self-motivated and eager, with a curiosity to learn what it’s like to work and succeed as a real estate professional
- Recent graduates (within 1-2 years) of a CUNY or SUNY undergraduate program. Graduates from a CUNY or SUNY associate degree program are also permitted to apply. Please see our FAQ page for further information.
- One to two years of professional work experience (internship and/or full-time positions)
- Ability to work full-time (35 hours per week) at NYCEDC’s offices for the entirety of the 16-month program
- June 1, 2023: Application opens
- July 7, 2023: Application closes
- August – November 2023: Department interviews
- December 2023: Offers extended
- January 8, 2024: Program starts
Complete applications will include:
- Cover letter
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a professional reference
For your cover letter be sure to answer the following questions:
- What about NYCEDC’s mission excites you the most?
- Why do you think the FIRE Fellowship Program is the best next step for your career?
- What past experiences would set you apart from other candidates?
- What impact would you be looking to make for New York City?
Not a fit? Check out our full-time positions.
Connect With Our Talent CommunityVisit: NYCEDC Opportunities
For more information, future opportunities, career events, and more