NYCEDC is working every day to make New York City a global model of a smart, sustainable, resilient, and livable city.
Rising to the Challenge
Rising populations, aging infrastructure, and climate change pose serious challenges for cities across the world. With 70 percent of cities already dealing with the effects of climate change, and a projected 68 percent of the world projected to be living in cities by 2050, smart cities and urban technologies are essential investments for a sustainable and equitable urban future.
By the Numbers
NYC's share of global urban technology venture capital
New York City is ensuring a more sustainable future for New Yorkers through:
- Climate adaptation projects to protect vital areas of the city from the effects of climate change
- Investments in growing the local offshore wind industry
- Strategic plans like OneNYC
- Sustainability goals like 0x30
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions initiatives like 80x50
- Sustainability policies like the 2019 NYC Buildings Emissions Law
By the Numbers
Number of building across NYC
Through its work in urban innovation and sustainability, NYCEDC is supporting New Yorkers who use advanced technology and innovation to address our most pressing urban challenges, create good-paying jobs, and make our city more livable for all.
The need is critical—NYC has some of the largest infrastructure systems in the world, including public transit, water, waste, and telecommunications. By investing in programs, projects, space, access, resources, and connections across the five boroughs, NYCEDC is leading the charge to improve our city—and the lives of every New Yorker.
By the Numbers
Number of subway stations in NYC—the most in the world
It’s our mission to ensure that companies have the space and resources they need to source and train talent, conduct and amplify research, connect investors to entrepreneurs, pilot new technologies, and demonstrate solutions.
From small businesses across the five boroughs, to growing companies looking to pilot their technologies, to academic institutions or community groups hoping to gain access to the benefits of the tech economy, NYCEDC is helping organizations and businesses across New York City seize the urban tech future.
NYCEDC provides entrepreneurs with access to partners across academia, nonprofit, for-profit, and city organizations, enhancing access to infrastructure, funding, and support that will:
- Bolster NYC’s urban tech entrepreneurs and companies.
- Reduce cost burden, offer space, provide access, foster collaboration, and build connections.
- Ensure that all New Yorkers have access to technologies that improve individual lives and strengthen the sustainability and resiliency of communities.
By the Numbers
Jobs supported by the Urbantech Hubs at New Lab and at Company
With 9,000 startups, $70B in total startup valuations and exits each year, and 100+ accelerators, incubators, and co-working spaces, the city is poised to lead the smart cities revolution. NYCEDC is hard at work addressing the needs of today, while preparing for the needs of tomorrow—empowering our resilient and forward-thinking city.
Climate technology, technology to address the effects of climate change, is one area of focus and growth for the city, including:
- City-driven renewable energy projects (e.g., offshore wind) to generate demand for climate tech, create jobs, and lead to private investment
- Programs and private funding to support climate tech startups
- Challenges and competitions to promote innovative solutions, such as the Clean Neighborhoods Challenge
- A growing community of climate tech incubators and accelerators, such as Urban Future Lab
Network-building to create energy, infrastructure, and connectivity improvements in NYC.
135K+ SF of available workspace at two hubs, supporting AI, advanced tech, and more.
Engaging the tech community to tackle urban problems through scalable tech solutions.
Building connections and networks for urban tech.
Providing incubator and proof-of-concept support for urban technology entrepreneurs.
RISE : NYC
Helping NYC small businesses adapt to climate change through innovative technologies.Learn More
Lower Manhattan Climate Resiliency Study The City's comprehensive climate change strategy for Lower Manhattan.
Urbantech NYC Digital Brochure Using tech to solve New York City’s most pressing urban challenges.
The Grid Digital Brochure A partner network for the urban tech community in New York City.
Explore Other Industries