Bringing the Caribbean to Brooklyn
The bustling neighborhood of Flatbush, Brooklyn has been home to the Flatbush Caton Market for over 20 years, serving up world-class Caribbean and global-themed goods. Now, NYCEDC is partnering with the City and a coalition of community organizations to transform the site into Caton Flats, a mixed-use development that will retain and improve the market, while supporting the long-term growth of dozens of local vendor businesses.
A New Chapter for Flatbush
Caton Flats will feature:
- An expanded and renovated vendor market
- An incubator space containing a shared commercial kitchen, natural beauty product lab, and flexible classroom space for business trainings and workshops
- New office and classroom space for the Caribbean American Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CACCI)
- Approximately 255 units of 100 percent affordable housing
- 10,000 square feet of commercial retail space
Existing vendors will be temporarily relocated during the new market’s construction phase. NYCEDC and the City will be offering various supports and core business training to help these vendors grow their businesses. When the market reopens, they will be eligible to relocate to the new space at below-market rents.