This joint statement is in support of New York State's award of port funding to the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal (SBMT), for future activation as a staging, installation, and maintenance site for offshore wind components.
"Last week’s announcement of port funding for the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal (SBMT) brings us one step closer to realizing the community’s vision of a sustainable working waterfront by creating a hub for the offshore wind industry in New York City. This significant investment is a win for environmental justice as we retool our economy for a green energy future while adding real manufacturing jobs right here in Brooklyn. The commitment from the state paves the way for equitable economic opportunity for Sunset Park residents and area small businesses with good-paying green job creation, a localized supply chain, and workforce development. We are thrilled to celebrate this major progress for Brooklyn’s working industrial waterfront and look forward to the activation of SBMT to help build a greener, more sustainable future!"
- United States Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer
- Rep. Nydia M. Velázquez (D-NY)
- Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-NY)
- Councilmember Carlos Menchaca
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric L. Adams
- New York City Public Advocate Jumaane D. Williams
- Brooklyn Community Board 7
- New York City Environmental Justice Alliance